This is a preparation for an Organic Spinach Puree that involves blanching the Spinach and creating the puree in organic butter. Once done, you’ll have an ingredient to add to many recipes such as the Organic Spinach with Cheese Omelettes.
- 3 pounds of Fresh Organic Spinach
- Spring Water for Cleaning the Spinach, Cooking & Cooling
- 2 Tablespoon of Sea Salt
- 2 Tablespoons of Organic Unsalted Butter
- Dash of Organic Nutmeg
- FYI: do not use Cast Iron or Aluminum Cookware with Spinach as they will effect the taste.
- Fill a large cooking kettle with Spring Water but not too high, this water will be set to a boil and you want the level low enough so it is safe and you do not get splashed and severely burned by the hot water. By the way, your kids should also be kept away from the stove to prevent them from getting severely burned.
- Add 2 Tablespoons of Sea Salt to the water.
- Put the water on high to bring to a full boil.
- While the water is heating up sort through the Spinach to remove any leaves that are having a tough day…you know the wilted, funky looking, discolored ones.
- Wash the Spinach with Spring Water (I like to use a large mixing bowl full of water to soak and agitate the Spinach while submerged. Next rinse the leaves. Do this in batches until all the Spinach is clean..Spinach as you know has many crevices that tend to hold sand).
- Cut the stems from the Spinach and set aside.
- Drop the Spinach into the rapidly boiling water in a safe and controlled manner so that there is no splashing. A little at a time is best.
- After the Spinach is added and the water regains a full boil let it cook for 5 minutes.
- While cooking, fill a large stainless bowl or kettle with Cold Spring Water
- Turn off the heat and safely remove the Spinach from the boiling water into the bowl of Cold Spring Water.
- Once cool remove the Spinach from the Cold Water and squeeze it as dry as possible.
- Chop the the cooled Spinach into small pieces using your chef’s knife and a cutting board or a food processor (but if going the food processor route be careful no to overdo it and liquefy the Spinach..this is “Not-Good”). Set the Cooled and Chopped Spinach aside.
- Take out a stainless steel or enameled saucepan.
- Add 2 Tablespoons of Unsalted Butter.
- Place on medium heat to melt the butter.
- Add the Chopped Spinach and cook for about 3 minutes while stirring in the pan.
- Remove from heat and season to taste with a dash of Ground Nutmeg as well as Sea Salt & Ground Black Pepper.