This is one of those classic recipes, maybe you’ve heard of it, maybe not but it’s one I grew up on.
Basically, this is a slice of bread that you make a hole in the center of. Then you butter it up, toss it into a fry pan and then crack an egg in the center. Cook, flip and Wa-La. .. But like any recipe (an especially one involving eggs), there’s a right way and a disastrous way to do it. Here’s the right way…by the way Di was visiting this weekend and she loves the things. We were over my parent’s house for breakfast and she forced me to make hers instead of my father (who’s a damn good cook by the way). But you know I was getting all big headed like I’m king of the bread with an egg with a hole dish but maybe she was just making me feel good (like ”I’m something and a bag of chips” as they say) just to get me to hop to. Who knows, since it’s already done I’ll go with the ego gratification of thinking I’m the better cook and leave it at that. .. Here ya go:
Toast With A Hole With An Egg In The Middle Of It Recipe
- Take out a stick of butter to soften if you know you’ll be making this recipe
- Get a slice of very good quality organic white bread. Preferably homemade. Cut thick.
- Cut a hole in the middle of the bread. Some people use a cookie cutter or a plastic cup to do this. Set aside the center section that you cut out.
- Generously, butter the bread and bread center section that was cut out. Set aside.
- Take out a medium fry pan.
- Pour some organic olive oil into it. Spread around the pan surface
- Add some organic unsalted butter
- Do what you do to make sure the serving plate will be warm by the time this thing is done
- Turn the heat on a little above medium (we don’t want to scorch the olive oil)
- Place the bread in the fry pan. Place the cut out center piece of bread to the side of the bread (cut it in half if you have to to make it fit)
- The key is using plenty of butter and olive oil
- Crack an egg and place in the center hole of the bread slice
- Cook..watch..add some additional butter to the sides and exposed top of the bread.
- When the bread if golden brown flip using a spatula (by the way those super industrial plate of steel spatulas they sell now days are just about useless for cooking. Use it for gardening instead. What you need is a thin metal spatula with some spring in it. .. And if you have a plastic one toss that into the garden tool kit as well.)
- Cook.. reflip etc. You want to keep the bread golden brown and make sure the egg is properly cooked
- Serve on the heated plate. Add a little theatrics also like a “Wa-La”, “A beautiful dish for a beautiful lady”, “Bon Appetit” (or “Bone Appetite” if you need to be funny).. that sort of thing.
Hope you enjoy. By the way if you enjoy this post please send to a friend and tell them to subscribe, see the upper right column under Feeds & Networks (and Stumble it or Add to your Technorati Favorites as well if you want). Some related links are given below: