I like having some food in the frig that’s delish, natural and convenient. One of my favorites is this little veggie medley I came up with. Cook up a bowl-full and store in the frig for good food/fast food. The recipe is like Summer, loose and easy .. add what you like, deep six what you don’t, until you get your unique flavor combo that’s right for you. Here’s one of the variations modestly called Theo’s Veggie Medley…
- 1 Medium Organic Rutabaga
- 2 Medium Organic Yellow Onions
- 1 Bulb (not clove!) of Organic Garlic
- 3 Medium Organic Carrots
- 1/2 Bunch of Organic Swiss Chard
- 1 Pound of Organic Spinach
- 1/2 Bunch of Organic Collard Greens
- Fill a Large Saucepan 1/3 Full of Spring Water
- Set on a high heat and cover
- Start Washing, Peeling and Chopping the Veggies. Remove all tough stems
- Take the greens and put in a pile on the cutting board
- Using your chef’s knife, cut re-bunch and cut until you have a small-ish pieces
- Chop your other veggies into fairly small pieces as well
- Add your tough to cook veggies first to the now boiling water. This would be the Rutabaga and carrots. Note: BE CAREFUL when adding veggies to boiling water. The water could splash and you could get badly burned!
- Add the other non-greens
- Finally add your greens
- Once the boil has been reachieved cover and cook for about 13 minutes. Cook to your liking. I like the veggies done but not mushy.
- While this is cooking peel and chop your bulb of Garlic. Set aside.
- When the veggies are done pour through a strainer. BE CRAREFUL. No small children underfoot and use some sort of safe hand protection.
- After you poured the veggies through a large strainer
- Add the garlic on top of the veggies
- Using a large metal spoon mix the veggies together. Be Careful not to get a steam burn. When you encounter the greens use some sideways action to try to tear them apart (they tend to get tangled)
- When cool enough to eat put in a serving bowl, sprinkle the top with Feta Cheese, add some Olive Oil and Sea Salt and toss together… Wonderful! Enjoy!
- After goofing-off from eating what you made transfer the rest to a large storage bowl
- Let cool and then place in the frig (covered of course).
- Then when you want a fast veggie fix take out what you need and prep. It’s cool and good in the Summer and come the cold weather just heat up a serving on the stove with a little water before adding the Cheese, Olive Oil and Sea Salt.
Let’s face it, you’re probably more likely to have your veggies if you cook a bunch ahead of time and dress them up with some Feta, Olive Oil and Sea Salt. And this is less expensive and infinitely better than all those pre-packaged disasters known as convenience dishes “found in your grocer’s frozen food isle”. Give this recipe to your favorite microwave dinner junkie and if they’re trying to loose weight advise them not to use a pound of cheese and a gallon of oil. Worse case is that when you visit you’d have something decent to eat.